The United Nations Security Council has nominated António Guterres as the next UN Secretary-General to succeed current UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon starting on January 1, 2017.The UN General Assembly will next need to approve the recommendation. Ted Turner, Founder and Chairman of the United Nations Foundation, released the following statement.“António Guterres is well-positioned to be a great United Nations Secretary-General – one of the most important jobs in the world. He has the experience we need: He has been the leader of one of the world’s foremost humanitarian agencies, and he would be the first Secretary-General to have also previously served as a head of government. He understands what it takes to lead, and he knows how to get things done. He’s an impatient humanitarian who will be a tireless diplomat for the hopes of people everywhere for a better future.“Creating the UN Foundation to support the UN was the best investment that I have ever made. I’m proud of my work with the UN, and I am proud to step up now to support the next Secretary-General however I can. We can’t turn away from today’s global problems, and I believe the UN is the place where we can all come together to make change happen.”
Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee voiced his support for the Big Ten conference’s investigation into the benefits of adding a 12th team in a meeting with Lantern editors earlier this month.“I’ve made very clear that I am supportive of asking the question [of how the Big Ten would benefit from adding a team],” he said.The Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors, of which Gee is a member, decided at a meeting in early December that “the timing is right for the conference to once again conduct a thorough evaluation of options for conference structure and expansion,” according to a statement issued by the Big Ten.The process is expected to take 12 to 18 months, and no action on expansion is expected in the near future, according to the statement. The conference has considered expansion several times since the addition of formerly independent Penn State in 1990, but Gee said he senses that the talks are more serious this time. “As athletic directors, we discuss it every single year. This year … we felt like the timing was right to begin to look at all the issues to see what the real pros and cons are,” OSU athletic director Gene Smith said in a December press conference.Scheduling questionsIf the Big Ten decides to add a 12th team, it raises a bevy of new questions, regardless of which school joins. At this point in the process, nobody has the answers. The Big Ten nimbly solved the problem of naming the conference when it expanded to 11 teams by subtly hiding the numeral “11” inside the conference’s logo, but the math becomes more difficult when it comes to scheduling opponents.“The dominant issue will be the fact that there is an inelegance in having 11 teams,” Gee said. “We can’t quite play each other quite like we want to.”A 12-team structure would lend itself to a format with two divisions of six teams each, similar to the structure of the Southeastern Conference and Big 12. Both of those conferences hold a championship game between the division winners as the last game of the regular season. True OSU football fans can already imagine the problem that this would create: What would happen to the OSU-Michigan game, traditionally the last game of the regular season for both teams?Along with Penn State, Michigan is assigned to a game with OSU every year, while the other eight schools follow a rotation to fill the six remaining conference games on the schedule. Each Big Ten school follows this format, with its own pair of designated opponents.“I don’t know why that would change,” said Shelly Poe, OSU’s director of athletic communications for football. Poe said that discussions about scheduling rivalry games would likely occur later in the expansion process.Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said that there were no updates to announce since the December meeting of the Council of Presidents/Chancellors.Notre Dame unlikely to joinBased in part on geography and academic quality, Missouri, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse have been the subject of media speculation as candidates for inclusion in the Big Ten. The biggest name, though, is Notre Dame, which is currently a member of the Big East conference for basketball, but is independent in football.Notre Dame is a “very fine institution,” Gee said, but is not among the 62 members of the Association of American Universities, to which all 11 current Big Ten schools, as well as the other rumored candidates for inclusion, belong. “We want to play in an academic consortium in which we have like kinds of institutions,” Gee said. “That will be very important to us.”Lack of membership in the AAU would not necessarily preclude an invitation to the Big Ten, Gee said. “I would not say that it’s absolute, but we certainly want to have like-minded institutions,” he said. “For example, there could be some institutions that are really elegant undergraduate institutions that don’t meet the criteria of the AAU, [which is] made up of these massive research institutions.”Notre Dame placed 20th in the most recent edition of U.S. News and World Report’s college rankings, higher than all Big Ten schools except Northwestern.For its part, Notre Dame has stated that it does not plan on joining the Big Ten. The school’s athletic director, Jack Swarbrick, told the Chicago Tribune in December that “our strong preference is to remain the way we are.” “It’s not on the radar,” said John Heisler, a Notre Dame spokesman, in an interview with The Lantern. “When the subject was discussed, our athletic director … made it clear that the independence of our football program has been a long-standing tradition and continues to be important to us.”TV contracts figure prominentlyCollege football is tradition-heavy, but it’s also big business. Notre Dame and NBC have a contract to televise Notre Dame football through 2015. The New York Times placed the contract’s value at $15 million per year, while The Chicago Tribune reported a value of $9 million per year.By comparison, the Big Ten has contracts with multiple broadcasting companies to help fund a variety of televised varsity sports. The Big Ten Network and an agreement with Fox that runs through 2027 (with an option for five more years) could pay each school an average of $10.18 million per year if it reaches its financial projections, according to the Sports Business Journal. The network “is obviously on a very successful trajectory,” Smith said in the press conference. The conference also pulls in an average of $100 million per year from its 10-year deal with ESPN (which runs through 2016) and another $2 million per year from its 10-year deal with CBS. Combined, these deals will pay each Big Ten school about $927,000 per year over the life of the contract, according to the Sports Business Journal.Last year, OSU also signed a media rights deal with IMG College and RadiOhio worth almost $128 million over 10 years. Given the numbers involved, television contracts will undoubtedly be a major factor in determining the possibility of any Big Ten expansion.“As you look at the college landscape across the country, and look at television contracts that are coming up within the next five to eight years, this is probably the right time for us to see if there’s any value to try and add a team or teams,” Smith said.Even if a 12th team added to the conference’s television value, the conference currently shares its television revenue among its member schools. Adding another team would also mean a thinner slice of the proverbial pie for each school.“That is an issue for us; do we divide it 12 ways or 14 ways?” Gee said. “What do we do?”As for Notre Dame, the school’s decision to remain independent “has a lot more to do with our priorities than it does with business issues,” Swarbrick told The Chicago Tribune.Representatives for Missouri and Pittsburgh, the other schools subject to the most frequent speculation, did not return calls seeking comment.
Ohio State senior goalkeeper Devon Kerr (1) prepares to take a goal kick in the second half of the game against Florida Gulf Coast University on Sept. 7. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorAfter losing to Michigan on Friday night, Ohio State (7-5-1, 4-2-1 Big Ten) survived in East Lansing, prevailing 1-0 over Michigan State (5-6-3, 0-5-2 Big Ten). After a scoreless first half, sophomore forward Miranda Brizon notched the game-winner for the Buckeyes in the 51st minute of the match from 10 yards, marking her second goal so far this season. The Buckeyes won their seventh game of the season when scoring first. Ohio State has a record of 32-1-1 when scoring first since the beginning of the 2016 season. Senior goalkeeper Devon Kerr recorded her sixth shutout of the season, making two saves for the Buckeyes on Sunday. The shutout against Michigan State was the 16th of her career. Ohio State held an advantage with 10 shots, eight shots on goal and three corner kicks over Michigan State, meanwhile, the Spartans held a 7-2 edge over the Buckeyes in saves.The Buckeyes will look to continue their momentum as they head back home to take on the Rutgers Friday at 7:30 p.m.
It seems Manchester United star David De Gea is about to switch to Real Madrid in a sensational swap deal involving Cristiano Ronaldo.The Old Trafford goalkeeper almost joined the Spanish giants in 2015, and ever since then, they haven’t taken their eyes off United No 1 as he has been the long-term target for Real.And according to Spanish news outlet Don Balon, Real Madrid have proposed a stunning swap deal to United involving De Gea and Ronaldo, via Express Uk.Man Utd intends to bring back Ronaldo to Old Trafford this summer and Don Balon say Madrid believes they can secure De Gea and £88m (€100m) for Portugal talisman, Ronaldo, as Mourinho is willing to lose his goalkeeper if that the only way of bringing Ronaldo back to Old Trafford.Ronaldo left United in 2009 for a then world-record fee of £80m as he may be leaving Real as the all-time leading goalscorer and also guided them to three consecutive Champions League triumphs.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.De Gea on his own has been vocal on his future in recent weeks, refusing to rule out the possibility of a departure from United.“My future? The important thing is the World Cup and not to think of anything else that can divert you or upset you,” said De Gea.“You have to be focused on having a good World Cup – we are all good. Hopefully, we can go far and win.“Football is football and a thousand things can happen.“But I’m always calm. Come what may, I’ll be the same. It is important to be focused and be 100 per cent.”
AS Roma owner James Pallotta has been banned by UEFA for criticizing referee, according to Sky Sports.Roma owner has been suspended for three months by the European Football governing body for criticism of the referee after his team’s second-leg semi-final Champions League tie against Liverpool last season.Pallotta publicly criticized the central officials of the game calling his officiating embarrassing while also saying the ref cost Roma an appearance in the final.Roma defeated Liverpool 4-2 that night at the Stadio Olimpico but lost the tie 7-6 on aggregate as Liverpool qualified for the final in Kiev.The Roma supremo also claimed that the use of Video Assistant Referee (VAR) in that game would have overturned a number of decisions made in favor of Liverpool.Karsdorp reveals he had too much stress at Roma Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The Dutch defender has been with the Gialorrossi since 2017, but he has not enjoyed his time in the Italian Lega Serie A.The suspension was handed which was served by UEFA’s Control, Ethics and Disciplinary board (CEDB) to Pallotta, ensures that the club owner can’t communicate with members of his technical staff and players or enter the club’s technical area in a competitive UEFA fixture for the next three months.Pallotta has also been banned from entering the team’s dressing room before or during a competitive UCL game.Roma will be involved in this season’s Champions League after finishing third in the Serie A last season.The club will begin their UCL campaign on September 18 or 19.
Simon Mignolet believes Liverpool would learn from their late title twist in 2014 as they close in on their first Premier League crown.Only three players Mignolet, Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge who were all instrumental in that campaign are in the current team.And five years on they are on the cusp of something special with a four-point lead ahead of Man City.“So much has changed over the past five years here,” he told the ECHO.“It’s only Hendo, Studge and me still here from the last time we really fought for the title.“Back then a lot of it was about Luis Suarez and Studge, whereas now the goals are shared about more. We had a really good team in 2013/14 but the moment we got one or two injuries it became difficult.“We’ve got a broad squad now which means we can cope with injuries. That’s probably the biggest difference with last time.“If a game is deadlocked there is always someone ready on the bench who is capable of opening a game up. In that sense, we’re in a much better position than we were then.23 – Mohamed Salah & Roberto Firmino have combined to set up 23 goalscoring chances for one another in the Premier League this season; more than any other pair. The next best is Mohamed Salah & Sadio Mané (22 chances created between each other). Dangerous. pic.twitter.com/EbtRefEXZP— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 21, 2019Top 5 Premier League players to watch for next weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Premier League’s Top 5 players to watch this weekend.After…“The general quality of this squad is the best I’ve ever known. When we play 11 v 11 in training it’s like being involved in a top match in the Premier League.“It’s not 11 first-teamers against 11 reserves, it’s two Premier League sides facing each other in training. It’s high quality.”Klopp’s men are breaking club records with their tally of 60 points from 23 games the best return at this stage of a season in the club’s illustrious history.Defensively, the difference is vast. Where Liverpool leaked 50 league goals in 2013/14, now the foundations are much stronger with just 13 conceded this time around.7 – Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool won seven league games during December 2018 – the most they’ve ever won in a single calendar month in their entire history. Award. pic.twitter.com/4n4yGN2ggQ— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 11, 2019“Exactly and that’s massive,” Mignolet said.“I think a big part of that is Virgil van Dijk. Ever since he’s come in he’s made a huge difference.“It’s not only his playing ability but the character and the leadership he sends out from the back. It’s especially important when you play teams like Brighton and Crystal Palace recently.“It’s the pressure he eases with his clearing headers. He always makes it look so easy. Something that’s very difficult for anyone else, just looks like a walk in the park for Virgil. He’s made us a lot more solid than before.”
California Highway Patrol warns those headed to the mountains KUSI Newsroom MOUNT LAGUNA (KUSI) – The California Highway Patrol is warning those headed to the mountains for a romp in the freshly fallen snow today that the roads are icy and chains, or four-wheel drive vehicles, are recommended.“Chains are needed from Interstate 8 if you’re exiting from the freeway onto Sunrise Highway,” said Tammy McGuire, CHP dispatch supervisor.“We do have snow plows responding, but they are not here yet.”The CHP said several accidents have been reported, while cautioning travelers to expect delays as crowds work their way up the mountains to play in the snow. December 25, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter Posted: December 25, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 8:20 PM
(PhysOrg.com) — For several years the government of the United Kingdom has been trying to build a low-carbon coal fired power plant by means of competitions between companies seeking the £1 billion reward that would go along with such a contract. The last go-round wound up with just one competitor, Scottish Power whose bid faltered in the end due to it being too expensive. This time an American conglomeration called the Summit Power Group has jumped into the fray by partnering with the National Grid, an electric and gas company that provides service to customers in the United Kingdom and parts of the United States and petroleum company Petrofac. Their idea is to build a Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS) coal fired power plant to be located in Scotland’s Port of Grangemouth, that Summit says will release 90% less carbon emissions than conventional plants. Explore further More information: Press release European power plants boosting coal use © 2011 PhysOrg.com Citation: Summit Group announces bid to build carbon capture and storage plant in Scotland (2012, March 21) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-03-summit-group-carbon-capture-storage.html Summit’s boast is not just marketing hype, they’re already in the middle of building a similar plant in Texas paid for by a grant from the US government.The bid for the plant is due to the UK’s Carbon Capture & Storage Delivery Competition. If built, the plant would be called the Caledonia Clean Energy Project, situated west of Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth; a location chosen due to already existing oil and gas pipeline facilities. In addition to using coal to create electricity, the plant would also produce hydrogen gas for sale to commercial customers. Also, because the location is close to the North Sea, the CO2 that is removed during the process of making electricity could be easily moved and sequestered under the sea for storage, by Petrofac which just happens to have a subsidiary company called CO2DeepStore that does just that.The group says that unlike Scottish Power, who estimated the project would cost £1.5 billion, they can get the job done for the £1 billion that the competition dictates. One possible hiccup thus far though is Summit’s plan to use the CO2 extracted, rather than sequester it, at a later date, as part of an enhanced oil recovery process under the North Sea, which has environmentalists worried.Summit also says that it is able to capture carbon during the process more efficiently than other plants because it doesn’t actually burn the coal used in the plant. Instead, they say, a chemical process is used. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.