Tag: 上海419新上海419龙凤网

Video of seal bomb tossed into BC waters draws negative online reaction

first_imgVANCOUVER — A commercial fisherman who tossed a small explosive into water teeming with sea lions off the coast of British Columbia says he wasn’t trying to hurt the creatures.The video prompted strong responses both for and against when it was posted to social media. It has since been taken down.Allan Marsden said he used the “bear banger,” a flare that emits a gunshot style noise, to scare the sea lions away from his boat.“This was not a case of going out there and trying to kill all the sea lions,” Marsden said in an interview on Friday.Since it was posted to the Facebook page of the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society earlier this week, a debate has erupted over the safety of sea lions and other creatures, as well as the safety of fishing crews struggling to make a living in challenging times.The society says it is trying to save salmon stocks by lobbying for a commercial harvest of harbour seals and sea lions on the west coast. Several scientists have disputed the claim that culling pinnipeds would help salmon stocks and warn that a cull would have consequences for the complex food web.Marsden said there’s a double standard if someone fishing on a river can use a banger to scare a bear, but he can’t do the same at sea.Three years ago, he said he was attacked by a sea lion while working on his boat.“I’m lucky that I didn’t get dragged over the rail and drowned or end up in a wheelchair, but I’ll have marks on my body until the day I die form a sea lion that latched on to me when I was working on deck,” he said.In this case, Marsden said he was trying to collect herring samples to monitor stocks and roe when the sea lions surrounded his boat. He set off the device, then drove his boat at high speed and stopped 2.5 kilometres away.Marsden said he wanted to time how long it took for the sea lions to catch up as he tried to set his nets down again. It took seven minutes.He said he’s disappointed that a second video wasn’t shared showing the sheer number of sea lions entering his net.“I was trying to figure out a way we could work out there with those lions. So I was trying to figure out how long I had from the time I set the net, because I know when the sea lions show up the chance of me getting fish is zero, it’s absolutely zero,” he said.Since the video has been shared, Marsden said he has received threats.Thomas Sewid, vice president of the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, posted the video and an explanation that says “massive” numbers of sea lions that dive on schools of herring keep the fish deep in the water, preventing fishermen from making a living. He said seals and sea lions also have the potential to spook large schools of already netted herring, causing the fish to dive. When large numbers of fish are all moving in the same direction, he said they have the combined strength to flip and sink a large boat.“Yes, we have lost many fellow fishers when seiners capsize. My great uncle drowned not 10 years ago in the Gulf of Georgia when this happened during a snowy night of herring fishing,” Sewid said in his post. Fisheries and Oceans Canada said it would investigate and it reminded the public it is illegal to disturb seals, sea lions or other marine mammals.“This includes the use of acoustic deterrents such as seal bombs or other explosives,” it said on a social media post.Sewid said he is merely “cannon fodder” in the battle for a legal hunt on California sea lions, adding the society is “trying to educate” Fisheries officials about the threat posed by pinnipeds.Sewid questioned the restriction on the use of the explosive devices.“What’s wrong with the world? How come a fishermen uses a little firecracker trying to keep the crew safe and everyone is up in arms, yet (hikers or campers) can whack a bear, a coyote, a badger, a cougar, a wolf with bear bangers all day long and no one says a damn thing,” he said in a telephone interview on Friday.   Critical comments have been posted on Sewid’s Facebook page, but he said he won’t stop trying to “find common ground.”“We need a seal harvest because it’s so important to so many people in British Columbia because salmon is so valuable. It’s not just fish. It’s a life.  It’s our life.”The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Start reading Video of seal bomb tossed into BC waters draws negative online reaction

Commonwealth Youth Games – Team Bahamas Celebration Motorcade Through New Providence DH

Commonwealth Youth Games – Team Bahamas Celebration Motorcade Through New Providence DH

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 31, 2017 – Nassau – A number of members of Team Bahamas enjoyed a motorcade through parts of New Providence, on July 26, 2017, to celebrate their multi-medal-winning performance at the recent Commonwealth Youth Games that were held in The Bahamas, July 18-23.  The Bahamas won 13 medals, including one gold medal, and placed 16th in a field of 64 countries taking part in the event.(BIS Photos/Eric Rose) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img

Start reading Commonwealth Youth Games – Team Bahamas Celebration Motorcade Through New Providence DH

California Highway Patrol warns those headed to the mountains

California Highway Patrol warns those headed to the mountains

first_imgCalifornia Highway Patrol warns those headed to the mountains KUSI Newsroom MOUNT LAGUNA (KUSI) – The California Highway Patrol is warning those headed to the mountains for a romp in the freshly fallen snow today that the roads are icy and chains, or four-wheel drive vehicles, are recommended.“Chains are needed from Interstate 8 if you’re exiting from the freeway onto Sunrise Highway,” said Tammy McGuire, CHP dispatch supervisor.“We do have snow plows responding, but they are not here yet.”The CHP said several accidents have been reported, while cautioning travelers to expect delays as crowds work their way up the mountains to play in the snow. December 25, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwittercenter_img Posted: December 25, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 8:20 PMlast_img read more

Start reading California Highway Patrol warns those headed to the mountains

Tesla Says SelfDriving Hardware Will Be Built Into All Its Cars

first_imgOctober 20, 2016 This story originally appeared on Reuters Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Wednesday all new Tesla Motors Inc. models will come with hardware to enable them to be fully self-driving, as the Silicon Valley electric car company bids to be the first among many rivals to get autonomous vehicles on the road.The company said that its Model S and Model X electric cars are already being produced with the new hardware, which includes eight cameras, 12 updated sensors and radar with faster processing.The new hardware package will cost $8,000, Musk told reporters on a conference call. The software to enable fully autonomous operation is still being tested, he said.Musk said he expects that by the end of 2017 a Tesla would be able to drive in full autonomous mode from Los Angeles to New York “without the need for a single touch” on the wheel.He has set ambitious deadlines for Tesla many times, only to see timetables slip. Rival automakers have said they expect to be able to field autonomous driving capability by 2019 or 2021.Meanwhile, older Tesla vehicles without the additional cameras, sensors and upgraded processors will not be able to drive autonomously, although their Autopilot software would continue to be improved, Musk said.For a time, cars with the new hardware will have less capability to assist drivers with steering or braking than older cars running Tesla’s Autopilot, Musk said. By December, he said, he expects the newer models to reach parity with the older vehicles.Musk said the software system is being built in-house and will run on an Nvidia Corp. Titan chip.Vanity purchase?It is unclear how Tesla’s future autonomous driving system will be greeted by regulators. Musk said it will be twice as safe as a human driver. However, federal and state regulators in the United States are proposing new, more rigorous standards to control the development and deployment of such systems.Edmunds Inc. analyst Jessica Caldwell questioned the value of purchasing a self-driving car before regulations catch up, calling it a “vanity purchase” that cannot be used in the real world.In the meantime, rival carmakers could introduce better solutions, Caldwell said, potentially making Tesla’s hardware “obsolete almost as soon as it’s activated for prime time.”Most notably, Tesla has chosen not to include Lidar laser-based sensors, a tool most other car makers believe is necessary for full autonomy.Tesla’s self-driving announcement is the latest in a series of efforts over the last few months by Musk to maintain investor interest in Tesla as its stock price has fallen. The company is expected to raise more cash from capital markets within the next 12 months.Shares of the company, which closed on Wednesday at $203.56, have fallen 23 percent since an April high, as the company has suffered a difficult few months.The death in May of a Tesla driver using the company’s Autopilot system, which prompted an investigation by safety regulators, and the decision to acquire money-losing rooftop solar developer SolarCity Corp., have increased scrutiny on Tesla’s financial and regulatory challenges.(Reporting By Alexandria Sage; Editing by Bill Rigby) Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. 3 min read Register Now »last_img read more

Start reading Tesla Says SelfDriving Hardware Will Be Built Into All Its Cars

Growing number of Boeing Max 8 planes grounded

Growing number of Boeing Max 8 planes grounded

first_img BEIJING — Aviation authorities in China, Indonesia and Ethiopia ordered airlines in those countries to ground their Boeing 737 Max 8 planes after one of the aircraft crashed in Ethiopia, killing all 157 people on board.The crash of the Ethiopian Airlines jet shortly after it took off from Addis Ababa on Sunday is drawing renewed scrutiny of the plane just four months after a similar crash of the same model of aircraft in Indonesia that killed 189 people.A spokesman for Ethiopian Airlines, Asrat Begashaw, said the carrier had grounded its remaining four 737 Max 8 planes until further notice as an “extra safety precaution.”The airline had been using five new 737 Max 8s and awaiting delivery of 25 more. Asrat said the search for body parts and debris from the crash was continuing.China’s Civil Aviation Administration said that it ordered airlines to ground all 737 Max 8 aircraft as of 6 p.m. Monday, in line with the principle of “zero tolerance for security risks.”It said it would issue further notices after consulting with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and Boeing.China Southern Airlines is one of Boeing’s biggest customers for the aircraft.Indonesia also grounded 737 Max 8s for inspections.Director General of Air Transportation Polana B. Pramesti said the grounding was taken to ensure flight safety and ensure the planes are airworthy.There are currently 11 Max 8 planes operated by airlines in Indonesia including 10 by Lion Air and 1 by the national carrier, Garuda.Cayman Airways said it was temporarily grounding the two Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft it operates, as of Monday.More news:  Sunwing to further boost Mazatlán service with new flights from OttawaReal time flight radar apps showed dozens of the aircraft still operating around the globe.Chicago-based Boeing said it did not intend to issue any new guidance to its customers. It plans to send a technical team to the crash site to help Ethiopian and U.S. investigators, however, and issued a statement saying it was “deeply saddened to learn of the passing of the passengers and crew” on the Ethiopian Airlines Max airplane.Ethiopia’s state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate reports that the black box has been found from the crashed Ethiopian Airlines plane.An airline official, however, tells The Associated Press that the box is partially damaged and that “we will see what we can retrieve from it.”A senior UN official and a New Brunswick forester were among the 18 Canadians who died Sunday. The United Nations High Commission for Refugees said one of its Canadian-born employees, Jessica Hyba, was among the victims of the deadly crash of an Ethiopian Airlines plane.Meanwhile, forestry groups identified Peter DeMarsh of New Brunswick as one of the victims.The 737 is the bestselling airliner in history, and the Max, the newest version of it with more fuel-efficient engines, is a central part of Boeing’s strategy to compete with European rival Airbus.Boeing has delivered about 350 737 Max planes to scores of airlines and has orders for more than 5,000.Shares in the company fell 9.6% Monday in pre-market trading.Air Canada said in an email statement Monday that it has operated Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft since 2017.“These aircraft have performed excellently from a safety, reliability and customer satisfaction perspective,” said spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur. “We continue to monitor the situation, and based on current information and recommendations by government safety regulators, including Transport Canada, and the manufacturer, we continue to operate our normal B737 schedule.”More news:  Kory Sterling is TL Network Canada’s new Sales Manager CanadaAir Canada has 24 Boeing 737-8 Max planes in its fleet and WestJet operates 13. WestJet also expressed condolences, and said it would not speculate on the cause of the incident at this time. WestJet said it is “working with Boeing to ensure the continued safe operation of our Max fleet.” Alan Diehl, a former National Transportation Safety Board investigator, said reports of large variations in vertical speed during the Ethiopian jetliner’s ascent were “clearly suggesting a potential controllability problem.”Other possible causes include engine problems, pilot error, weight load, sabotage or bird strikes, he said.Ethiopian has a good reputation and the company’s CEO told reporters no problems were spotted before Sunday’s fight. But investigators also will look into the plane’s maintenance, which may have been an issue in the Lion Air crash.Days after the Indonesian accident, Boeing notified airlines that faulty information from a sensor could cause the plane to automatically point the nose down. The automated system kicks in if sensors indicate that a plane is about to lose lift, or go into an aerodynamic stall. Gaining speed by diving can prevent a stall.The notice reminded pilots of the procedure for handling such a situation, which is to disable the system causing the automatic nose-down movements. << Previous PostNext Post >> By: The Associated Press Growing number of Boeing Max 8 planes grounded Monday, March 11, 2019 With files from The Canadian Press Sharelast_img read more

Start reading Growing number of Boeing Max 8 planes grounded