By Myriam Ortega/Diálogo June 10, 2019 The Colombian Navy continues its relentless fight against transnational criminal groups that threaten regional security. One of its latest breakthroughs occurred in late April, when units captured 11 foreign nationals involved in narcotrafficking in Central America. Elements of the 42nd Marine Riverine Battalion led an operation on April 23, in López de Micay municipality, Cauca department, thanks to intelligence from the Navy. In a house, Naval units captured six Costa Ricans, four Nicaraguans, and a Mexican who the Navy said coordinated logistics to smuggle U.S.-bound drugs from Nicaragua and Costa Rica. “Navy intelligence enabled us to find a house located in a village called Boca Grande, near López de Micay,” Colombian Navy Vice Admiral Antonio Martínez Olmos, commander of the Pacific Naval Force (FNP, in Spanish), told Diálogo. “We sent an alert to FNP units, who went to the area and captured the alleged criminals, by surprise of course.” Service members found 1 kilogram of marijuana in the house. The individuals also carried several weapons, such as 5.56 caliber MP5 rifles, a .45 caliber Glock pistol, and shells, as well as communication equipment, the Navy reported. The captures allowed authorities to start legal proceedings, “with important information revealing the activities of this narcotrafficking organization operating in this part of the Colombian Pacific,” Vice Adm. Martínez said. Planning the operation In January, the Navy’s intelligence identified foreigners in the Saija River area, in López de Micay, which initiated search activities. “Intelligence revealed that the people captured might have already established contact with people who were eventually involved in narcotrafficking,” Colombian Navy Colonel Alexander Ramírez, commander of the 2nd Marine Corps Brigade, told Diálogo. “They would meet to coordinate with narcotrafficking organizations that operate in that area, especially in Timbiquí [Cauca].” With this information, naval units began conducting a series of riverine surveillance operations in the many rivers and streams used to smuggle drugs and evade authorities’ control. “We need many troops to be really able to control them. There are hundreds, nearly thousands of estuaries that converge in this Pacific coastline,” Col. Ramírez said. “In addition to geographic conditions, there are networks that support these structures, which obviously […] make our job difficult.” “What’s difficult is to find these people’s location. Once we obtained more precise intelligence, we were able to plan the operation, put security rings in place, and insert troops, which found weapons in Boca Grande,” Col. Ramírez added. According to the Office of the Attorney General, the criminals were sent to Güapi, Cauca, where authorities charged them with manufacturing, trafficking, and illegal possession of weapons meant for use by the Colombian Armed Forces. Some of the detainees are wanted in their countries of origin for narcotrafficking and illegal firearms possession, as well as theft. According to the Navy, the Mexican national from Sinaloa had been sentenced in Baja California Sur in the 1990s, after being detained with more than 1,347 kg of marijuana. “The connection between these people and this criminal activity within transnational crime is clear, with the understanding that this is an investigation, and it clearly shows that the Colombian Navy and the Public Forces’ fight against narcotrafficking doesn’t stop,” Vice Adm. Martínez said. “We have very clear instructions from the government that we should fight with all our resources, our means, and our personnel’s combative spirit against the scourge of narcotrafficking, which has harmed our country so badly.”
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A driver was charged with murder and other counts after the suspect allegedly ran over a 56-year-old woman, who died of her injuries, and wounded two others in Hempstead two months ago, authorities said.Shania Buchanan, 22, pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment and reckless driving. Judge Jerald Carter ordered her held without bail.“The defendant is charged with barreling into a group of pedestrians while driving an SUV, leaving one bystander dead and two other victims with severe, life-altering injuries,” said Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas.Prosecutors said Buchanan was driving her Nissan Pathfinder when she heard about an altercation involving a family member, sped toward her relative’s Linden Avenue home, where a crowd had gathered, and struck three people with her SUV at 5 p.m. April 20.Of the two surviving victims, one’s spine was fractured and the other suffered a broken femur, authorities said.Buchanan surrendered to Nassau County police Wednesday, prosecutors said. She is due back in court July 11. If convicted, she faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
The Croatian Tourism Association welcomes the continuation of the allocation of aid for the preservation of jobs in activities affected by coronavirus, which was announced by the Government, the Croatian Tourism Association points out. “We believe that the announcement of the extension of the measure until the end of the year is actually just a technical issue. It is to be expected that the measures are planned to be extended until the beginning of next season. This is necessary in order to be ready for it, because tourism is not only a significant stake in creating the GDP of this country, but also the key to the recovery of the entire Croatian economy.”, said Ostojic. We believe that subsidies are the most important link in the chain of job retention and the survival of companies, which this year proved to be one of the keys to the season, said the director of HUT Veljko Ostojic and added that tens of thousands of laid-off workers had occurred at the institute in the spring, they could not return to work quickly and complete the season successfully, so the job retention measure was crucial. The first is the continuation of support measures to preserve jobs until the beginning of next season, ie until the end of 2021, the second is the provision of funds for liquidity and preparation of the tourist season 2021, in agreement with the CNB, HBOR and commercial banks, to facilitate approval of the so-called corona credit and moratorium and reprogramming and efficient use of EU funds, through coordination of public and private sectors in the creation and implementation of programs. Also, Ostojic emphasized that three things will be crucial for the preparation of the next season. Photo: HUT
On Tuesday, Twitter for the first time prompted readers to check the facts in tweets sent by US President Donald Trump, warning his claims about mail-in ballots were false and had been debunked by fact checkers. US President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to close down social media platforms after Twitter labelled two of his tweets “unsubstantiated” and accused him of making false claims.”Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen,” Trump tweeted. Topics : In a tweet responding to the company’s move, Trump accused the company of interfering in the 2020 presidential election. “Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!” he said.The blue exclamation mark notification prompted readers to “get the facts about mail-in ballots” and directed them to a page with news articles and information about the claims aggregated by Twitter staffers.Trump pushed back again on Wednesday saying “we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots.”Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!” The president also accused social media platforms of interfering in the last election, saying “we saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016.””We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that happen again.”The president has long used Twitter as a platform to spread abuse, conspiracy theories, false information and insults to his 80 million followers.Before being elected in 2016, he built his political brand by supporting the “birther” lie that Barack Obama, America’s first black president, was not born in the United States and therefore was not eligible to be president.And he has recently ignited another storm with an attempted character assassination of MSNBC TV host Joe Scarborough by spreading the baseless rumor he murdered an aide.
According to British media reports, the talented footballer rejected an offer of 30,000 pounds (37,400 U.S. dollars) weekly wage from the Reds as he was not assured of regular playing time under manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.****XINHUAShare on: WhatsApp Angel GomesKampala, Uganda | XINHUA | Manchester United confirmed Wednesday that Angel Gomes has left the club as the 19-year-old rejected the offer of a new contract.Gomes joined the Reds youth academy when he was six years old and made his first team debut at the age of 16 in 2017. The attacking midfielder made 10 senior appearances for the team in total. His last game for the Reds was the 4-0 win over Norwich City at Old Trafford in the Premier League in January.“Everybody at Manchester United would like to wish Angel the very best of luck for the future and thank him for his efforts for the club,” said Manchester United in a statement.