Rep. Peter Welch supported and the House passed legislation late Wednesday to address a projected shortfall in the Highway Trust Fund by restoring $7 billion in federal transportation funding to the states. HR 3357 prevents an 85 percent reduction in Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funding, which would have reduced Vermont s share from $134 million to $20 million in 2010.The cut would have forced Vermont Agency of Transportation to shut down all new FHWA construction, resulting in the loss of 998 jobs, according to the American Road and Transportation Builders Association. A recession is no time to cut federal highway funding and layoff hundreds of workers, Welch said. This bill ensures that Vermont can continue to rebuild its roads and bridges and maintain good-paying jobs.
By Mohammed ShafeeqHyderabad, April 20: India’s star shuttler P.V. Sindhu is focusing on coming championships and aims to give her best to achieve her ultimate goal — becoming World No. 1.After winning the Indian Open Superseries early this month, she was almost there, with a career-best ranking of World No. 2.The 2016 Olympic silver medallist, however, slipped to fifth place last week following a first-round exit from the Malaysian Open. She also lost in the quarter-fil of the Singapore Open Superseries.The double World Championship bronze medallist, however, is not disappointed. “Winning or losing is part of life. Sometimes you will win, sometimes you will lose,” she told IANS.The 21-year-old Hyderabadi also doesn’t want to put extra pressure on herself by bothering too much about rankings.”If you play well and give your best, it automatically gets your ranking up,” said Sindhu.She is now focusing on Asia Badminton Championships to be played in Chi between April 25 and 30. “After that we have the Sudirman cup in May,” said Sindhu, who hopes to do well in the two events.Sindhu, who defeated Spaniard Caroli Marin in the Indian Open fil, lost 11-21, 15-21 to her arch-rival in the quarter-fil of Singapore Open.With this win, two-time reigning world champion Marin has taken a 6-5 lead over the Indian in career meetings.The two had been facing each other in key contests since Sindhu lost to her in Rio Olympics fil.Sindhu had avenged her defeat at Rio by beating the Spaniard in the Dubai Superseries fil last year.”I have beaten her sometimes, I have lost to her sometimes. It’s all part of the game,” said Sindhu.She said off-court they were just normal friends. “On-court we fight each other because only one can win,” she said.The first Indian woman to win a silver medal at the Olympics, Sindhu also achieved another milestone last year by bagging her maiden Superseries Premier title when she won Chi Open. It was the only trophy missing from her cabinet.The series of wins help the 5′ 11″ Sindhu become only the second Indian woman after her illustrious citymate Sai Nehwal to break into the top five of the world ranking.(Mohammed Shafeeq can be contacted at [email protected])
In the wake of the alarming increase in the US dollar value against the local currency, the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) has commenced the removal and shutting down of illegal moneychangers from the streets of Monrovia and its environs. The enforcement exercise, which was contained in a statement issued yesterday, said the Bank will use several measures to accomplish its aims, including confiscation of funds of violators. “We observed with serious concern the re-emergence of illegal foreign exchange operators in the country, in violation of the Central Bank of Liberia Act of 1999, the New Financial Institutions Act of 1999 and the Regulation concerning the licensing and supervision of foreign exchange bureaus in Liberia,” the statement said. The CBL is hereby directing all illegal foreign exchange operators to immediately desist from the foreign exchange business without the authorization of the Bank.The Bank then advised the public not to do business with any foreign exchange operators who are not licensed by the CBL.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
No plans this Thursday night? Why not put your knowledge to the test at the All Blakes Team table quiz in aid of Relay for Life!The event promises to be a night of great craic and good competition in Blake’s Bar, Letterkenny Main Street at 9.30pm. All are welcome to come and support the fundraiser and there will be great prizes on offer, sponsored by Kernan’s. The ‘All Blakes’ are getting ready to take part in Relay for Life Donegal on 25th-26th May to raise money for the Irish Cancer Society to fund research provide local support services in Donegal.The ‘All Blakes’ Relay for Life teamAnd the family team are also running a mega-draw ‘Raffle for Relay’ this weekend!Instead of just asking people to donate money to this great Charity which they will gladly accept, the ‘All Blakes’ team together with all of their generous sponsors are also giving everyone a chance to win some amazing prizes. Vouchers from a wide range of local businesses have been donated and there are over 15 prizes to be won!And the first prize is an incredible trip to Man Utd. V Arsenal, sponsored by Ireland West Airport Knock! These tickets are available in Blake’s Bar, The Brewery, The Cottage, Arena 7, Hue Hair Salon and Tír na nÓg to name but a few and can also be obtained from any of the ALL BLAKES TEAM.So, if you see any of the All Blakes Team with buckets or raffle tickets over the next week, please give what you can. Every little helps and remember it is all for a great cause.Let’s all help out with the fight against Cancer.Time to get behind the ‘All Blakes’ Big Quiz night! was last modified: May 23rd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:all blakesTable quiz
Rafael Benitez continued to insist Chelsea are progressing under his management despite them letting a two-goal lead slip against Reading.The Blues were cruising at 2-0 with three minutes to play until late strikes from Adam Le Fondre rescued an extraordinary 2-2 draw for the Royals.It was the second time Chelsea have surrendered a two-goal lead under Benitez, having recently done the same at home to Southampton.But the under-fire interim manager said: “We are progressing in the right way.“You can see the mentality of the team, they were concentrating, and they were working hard. The players like the training sessions and like the things we are trying to do.“We were controlling the game for 85 minutes, but we made one or two mistakes and we paid for them.“At this level we need to be more clinical. We have to take responsibility. We win together and we draw together.”See also:Reading v Chelsea player ratingsChelsea stunned by late Royals 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Related Posts Last year when I spoke to Chinese resident and Internet expert, Kaiser Kuo, he noted that the biggest difference between Weibo and Twitter is that the former is actively censored by the Chinese government. There is word filtering and Sina staff monitor the content.Which brings us back to the sad news of Ai Weiwei being detained by authorities in China. It isn’t just people in the West making noise about it, as Chinese authorities perhaps would have us believe. As noted above, users of Sina Weibo are finding creative ways around censorship to make their feelings known.Free Ai WeiweiI was honored to meet Ai Weiwei in New York City last March, at an event that included Twitter’s Jack Dorsey. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but he came across as a very warm-hearted and curious person. He wanted to know all about what I do, even though he’s achieved much more than I have. Then during the discussion on stage, it became clear that he’s both very brave and always keen to challenge the status quo. He probes for the truth in whatever he says or does. 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… There’s increasing concern in China and worldwide about the detention of leading Chinese artist and activist, Ai Weiwei. Reports first surfaced on Sunday U.S. that Weiwei had been detained by China authorities, while at the Beijing Airport on his way to Hong Kong. Weiwei is a prolific Twitter user, but his account hasn’t been updated since Sunday (it’s also translated into english). CNN reported today that China’s ruling Communist party “unleashed a blistering attack” on both Weiwei and the West for criticizing the apparent arrest. Many of China’s own citizens are voicing their concern on China’s leading Twitter-like service, Sina Weibo. To do this, users must creatively route around active censorship on Weibo.British newspaper The Guardian wrote today:On the Sina microblog, China’s domestic equivalent of Twitter, censors deleted many messages about Ai, and a search for his name produced a warning that results were not shown due to local regulations. But internet users fought back with typical ingenuity. Several used the words “ai weilai” or “love the future” – which looks and sounds similar to his name – to call for his return. One wrote: “I really don’t dare believe that in this society, even love for the future can disappear.”Western readers probably aren’t familiar with microblogging in China, so here’s some background about Weibo and the current state of the market. While Twitter is blocked in China, there are a number of popular microblogging services among Chinese Internet users. About a year ago I wrote here on ReadWriteWeb that Weibo, owned by the company Sina, was the most popular of these Twitter-like sites. We here at ReadWriteWeb join Sina Weibo users in wishing for the safe return of Ai Weiwei to his home. You can follow Weiwei’s Facebook Page to monitor news and express your own feelings about his detention. 4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App Tags:#art#international#NYT#Real World#web 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout richard macmanus Asian tech analysis blog Penn Olson reported this week that Sina is in the process of spinning off Weibo as a separate entity, possibly leading to a future IPO. Sina Weibo has grown from 50 million users in October to nearly 100 million today. It has 56.5% of the market share in microblogging services, according to iResearch. That’s well ahead of the second most popular service, Tencent’s Fanfou. The difference between Sina and Tencent becomes much more pronounced when looking at browsing time: iResearch puts Sina at 86.6% share. 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…
Today’s venture capital deal flow to innovative new companies looks a lot like a fat man trying to squeeze into a slim Italian suit. It just doesn’t fit. The new shape of innovation is a lot more inclusive of new approaches and sources of startup funding.In 2000, venture capitalists poured a staggering $112.2 billion into startups nationwide, according to an analysis by the Public Policy Institute of California (PDF). Today, venture capital deal flow has slowed to a relative trickle, just $28.4 billion was invested in startups by venture capitalists in 2011.Slimmer PickingsThis slimming down has sent shockwaves through the startup world. According to Dow Jones VentureSource Senior Manager of Corporate Communications Kim Gagliardi, 3,404 venture financing rounds were completed in 2011, down 47% from the 6,361 closed in 2000.Sure, $28 billion is far from being a “trickle” but consider this. In 2005, The Wall Street Journal tried to estimate the “world’s cash hoard” and arrived at a figure of $46 trillion(PDF), based on global insurance, pension and mutual funds holdings alone. That was up 29% over 2000 in just five years.Granted, 2005 was before the financial meltdown but why would America’s startups now receive a quarter of the investment they got in 2000, when seven years ago the total pool of money available for investing was already a third higher than it was in 2000?One reason is that it’s so much cheaper these days to get a startup off the ground. Data from Dow Jones VentureSource appears to support that notion, with the median size of venture capital rounds decreasing over the past decade: Tags:#start#Venture Funding Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Aramco, Holder of the Largest IPO in History is… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… michael tchong New Funding ModelsLuckily, innovation today isn’t occurring only among startups. It’s also happening in the funding models that help create those startups. Accelerators and crowdfunding are elbowing the fat boys of venture capital aside.The success of the Pebble watch, which took in a whopping $10.3 million on Kickstarter is a perfect example of how venture capital is being complemented by new approaches propelled by social media.As Bloomberg reports, the creators of Pebble raised $375,000 in angel funding but when it came to raising another round, Pebble was roundly rejected by venture capital firms that didn’t want to risk betting on a hardware startup.Accelerators are also booming. So much so that Jeff Levy, an entrepreneur and investor at Lamberts Cove, believes that an accelerator bubble may be forming. Levy should know, in 1999 he founded eHatchery, an Atlanta-based precursor to today’s accelerators.But Levy agrees that accelerators such as Y Combinator:, 500 Startups: and Kicklabs are helping spur innovation while making significant improvements in the incubator model, including funding many companies at once and investing small amounts – $20,000 or so – in their ideas.Venture Capital ≠ InnovationSo does less venture capital mean less innovation? Depends on who, and how, you ask. A 2007 study of Dutch companies by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that venture capitalists had a positive influence on their portfolio companies’ innovation strategy because they pushed their “capacity to assimilate and exploit new knowledge.” (PDF).But a 2008 study by professors Masako Ueda and Masayuki Hirukawa, entitled Venture Capital and Innovation: Which Is First?, concludes that venture capital does not directly stimulate innovation.So can these new funding models help spur innovation? Absolutely, judging by the 68,929 people who decided to back Pebble. You can bet that the big watch companies are now cooking up a similar customizable watch recipes.And how about British entrepreneur Piers Ridyard, whose innovative Nifty MiniDrive has already received $384,319 in funding, rendering him speechlessY Combinator, meanwhile, has funded such innovative startups as Dropbox and Airbnb:, the latter just recording its busiest night with 60,000 concurrent guests.All of these innovative products and services would never have seen the light of day if they had to rely on traditional venture capital funding.Accelerators and crowdfunding have improved the odds by spreading the risk of investing over many startups and investors, respectively. Could this hors d’oeuvre approach to venture capital help keep innovators properly fed? I’m betting dinner on it. Top 25 Black Friday Deals for Techies in 2019
Cyclonic storm “Vayu” has intensified into a severe cyclonic storm, forcing authorities to put Gujarat on high alert. The State authorities have swung into action, ordering closure of schools for three days in coastal districts and deploying teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and asking fishermen to return to the coast from high seas.Speed increasesThe India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Tuesday said the speed of “Vayu” had increased to 17 km per hour and was located in the Arabian Sea, about 350 km west-northwest of Goa, 410 km south-southwest of Mumbai and 530 km nearly south of Veraval (Gujarat).“It is very likely to move nearly northwards and cross Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Veraval and the Diu region as a severe cyclonic storm, with a wind speed of 110-120 kmph gusting to 135 kmph during early morning of June 13,” the IMD said.The cyclone will make a landfall near Veraval in Gir Somnath district on June 13 but it will be preceded by heavy rainfall in isolated places.Shifting of people“June 13 and 14 are crucial for us. We have roped in the Army, the NDRF, the Coast Guard and other agencies for rescue and relief work. We will start shifting people living in coastal areas to safer locations,” Chief Minister Vijay Rupani told media persons on Tuesday. The depression in the Arabian Sea. After a review meet with District Collectors and officials, Additional Chief Secretary (Revenue) Pankaj Kumar said schools, colleges and anganwadis in coastal districts would remain shut on June 12 and 13.“In all, 36 NDRF teams will be deployed for rescue operations. We have also roped in Army, Navy, Coast Guard and BSF units. If needed, we will also take the help of the Air Force. We have ordered schools, colleges and anganwadis in the districts which are likely to be hit by the cyclone to remain shut on June 12 and 13,” Mr. Kumar said.Enrolment postponedThe government has postponed the State-wide school enrolment drive scheduled for June 13-14 during which all Ministers, legislators and top bureaucrats would visit schools in their areas to enrol children.According to the State government, around three lakh people from coastal villages will be shifted from low lying areas in Saurashtra and the Union Territory of Diu.According to the IMD, heavy rains with winds blowing at the speed of over 110 km on are likely on June 13 and 14 in coastal areas of Saurashtra and Kutch.The government has advised fishermen against venturing into the sea in the next few days while ports have been directed to flag a danger signal.“A heavy rain warning has been issued for Saurashtra and Kutch on June 13 and 14 due to the depression in the Arabian Sea which will turn into a severe cyclonic storm,” State meteorological department director Jayanta Sarkar told reporters.The government has decided to deploy 30 teams of the NDRF in the coastal districts. | Photo Credit: earth.nullschool.net