First Lady Frances Wolf, Holidays Harrisburg, PA – Today, First Lady Frances Wolf joined cabinet members for the 28th annual Holiday Wish Program gift drive in Harrisburg, which provides donated gifts to about 200 families and 100 seniors across Pennsylvania.“I am so proud of the Holiday Wish Program and all the joy it brings to so many seniors, families and children across our commonwealth,” said First Lady Frances Wolf. “And I am particularly proud of the state employees who take part in the program each year. It truly shows the dedication and generosity of our state employees and reflects the best values of Pennsylvania – support for our neighbors and care for those among us who are in need.”Cabinet members from the departments of Human Services, Aging, Transportation, and Labor & Industry joined the National Guard to celebrate, while Santa Claus visited with children from local child care providers.Volunteer state employees and the Pennsylvania National Guard loaded wrapped gifts into military vehicles and delivered them to participating county assistance offices for distribution to the families and individuals.The families and older adults sponsored for the event were identified through case workers at county assistance offices, a senior citizen complex serving older adults in need, and a community action agency. They list a few gifts they would like to receive, and state employees then choose to sponsor a family or individual.“We work all year to improve the quality of life for Pennsylvanians but the holidays give us the opportunity to see that work in action. Hundreds of Pennsylvania families have so much to look forward to thanks to the generous support we’ve seen from employees around the commonwealth,” Department of Human Services Secretary Teresa Miller said. “I am proud to work with people who care this much and I want them to know that we all sincerely appreciate their efforts.”The Holiday Wish program was started in 1989 by a small group of employees from DHS. Over the years, it has grown to include hundreds of employees in numerous departments. Wolf Administration Teams Up to Support Families in Need this Holiday Season December 06, 2017 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
AS expected, Chapecoense have been declared winners of the Copa Sudamericana, while Atletico Nacional have been granted a fair play prize.Chapecoense have been named as the winners of the Copa Sudamericana by South American football’s governing body CONMEBOL.Interim club president Ivan Tozzo confirmed at the weekend that the decision had been made following a formal request from Atletico Nacional, who had been due to face Chapecoense in the final of the competition.The plane carrying the Chapecoense squad and a number of journalists for the first leg of the final crashed en route to Medellin two days before the match was due to take place, killing 71 people on board.Atletico have been rewarded for their gesture with a fair play prize.“CONMEBOL’s Council has decided to declare Chapecoense as the champions of the 2016 edition of the Copa Sudamericana, as well as grant Atletico Nacional the extraordinary recognition of the ‘CONMEBOL Centenary Fair Play’ prize,” a statement released by the organisation read.Chapecoense are to receive “all the sporting and economic prerogatives that this entails,” CONMEBOL confirmed.The decision to award Atletico a prize, which includes a cash sum of $1 million, came as a result of their willingness to “promote South American football in a spirit of peace, understanding and fair play in the pursuit of sporting values always having prevalence over commercial interests,” it added.Football matches across the world have been preceded by moments of silence in recognition of those who lost their lives in the tragedy.A tribute was held at the club’s Arena Conda over the weekend, attended by CONMEBOL chief Alejandro Dominguez, Brazil coach Tite, the country’s president Michel Temer and head of FIFA Gianni Infantino, along with hundreds of supporters.Last week, Brasileirao clubs issued a joint statement in which they requested that Chapecoense be made exempt from relegation for the next three seasons, while they offered to loan players to the club for free.Former Barcelona and Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen has offered to play for the club if needed, while Brazil great Ronaldinho and ex-Argentina midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme have also been linked.