FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享E&E News:A French utility won’t move forward with a $7 billion deal to import liquefied natural gas from Houston-based NextDecade Corp., roughly two weeks after contract negotiations paused over reported concerns about the methane emissions footprint of U.S. natural gas.“ENGIE decided not to pursue commercial discussions with NextDecade on this gas supply project,” the company confirmed to E&E News in an email yesterday. French newspaper Le Monde first reported that Engie SA would not finalize the contract.The canceled deal marks a blow for NextDecade, which is working to secure a final investment decision in 2021 on the planned Rio Grande LNG export project, located in Brownsville, Texas, which seeks to use an “abundant gas supply” from the Permian Basin and Eagle Ford Shale.NextDecade did not respond to a request for comment, but told E&E News earlier this week that the company “is proud of its leadership in environmental and social performance.”Kevin Book, managing director at research firm ClearView Energy Partners LLC, said multiple factors are overlapping, but cited the French government’s “heightened trade-based climate concerns” and European efforts to meter methane — a potent greenhouse gas — as two dominant trends surrounding the deal between Engie and NextDecade.“Today, the bigger effect appears to be the lack of clear signal from the U.S. federal government that U.S. gas is regulated to the standard that Europe can accept, and that France can accept,” Book said yesterday.[Carlos Anchondo and Miranda Willson]More: Backlash over U.S. methane emissions kills LNG export deal France’s Engie pulls out of $7 billion deal to import U.S. LNG
Shares in AstraZeneca traded 5% higher by 1415 GMT. There was no immediate comment from the company on the report.A spokeswoman for Oxford University told Reuters the team was awaiting confirmation from a scientific journal of a publication date and time for the data, but gave no further details. “(We) are not able to confirm when it will be released,” she said.Peston said in a blog post: “I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca.”Researchers in the United States reported on Tuesday that Moderna Inc’s experimental vaccine showed it was safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 healthy volunteers in an ongoing early-stage study.Moderna started its Phase II trial in May and expects to start a Phase III trial on July 27. Positive news on initial trials of the University of Oxford’s potential COVID-19 vaccine that has been licensed to AstraZeneca could be announced as soon as Thursday, ITV’s political editor Robert Peston said, citing a source.The potential vaccine is already in large-scale Phase III human trials to assess whether it can protect against COVID-19, but its developers have yet to report Phase I results which would show whether it is safe and whether or not it induces an immune response.The developers of the vaccine said this month they were encouraged by the immune response they had seen in trials so far and were expecting to publish Phase 1 data by the end of July. Topics : The data are expected to be published by The Lancet medical journal.More than 100 vaccines are being developed and tested around the world to try to stop the COVID-19 pandemic, which has killed hundreds of thousands and ravaged the global economy.AstraZeneca’s experimental vaccine is probably the world’s leading candidate and most advanced in terms of development, the World Health Organization’s chief scientist said in June.The company has signed agreements with governments around the globe to supply the vaccine should it be cleared for use.