To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The Delhi state government announced the “special corona fee” in a public notice late on Monday.”It was unfortunate that chaos was seen at some shops in Delhi,” said Arvind Kejriwal, the state’s chief minister.”If we come to know about violations of social distancing and other norms from any area, then we will have to seal the area and revoke the relaxations there,” he added.Other states, such as southern Andhra Pradesh, where people also violated social distancing measures to queue up in their hundreds for alcohol, also hiked prices. Officials in India’s capital imposed a special tax of 70% on retail liquor purchases from Tuesday, to deter large gatherings at stores as authorities ease a six-week lockdown imposed to slow the spread of the coronavirus.Taxes on alcohol are a key contributor to the revenue of many of India’s 36 states and federal territories, most of which are running short of funds because of the lengthy disruption in economic activity caused by the virus.Police baton-charged hundreds of people who had flocked to liquor shops when they opened on Monday for the first time in a relaxation of the world’s biggest lockdown, which is set to run until May 17. Topics : The increases come as India reported 3,900 new infections on Tuesday for its highest single day rise, taking the tally to 46,432. The death toll stood at 1,568, the health ministry said.Health experts said the daily increase shows India remains at risk despite a severe lockdown that has confined its population of 1.3 billion to their homes since late March, with all public transport halted and economic activity nearly frozen.”The curve has not shown a downward trend. That is cause for concern,” said Dr Randeep Guleria, director of New Delhi’s premier All-India Institute of Medical Sciences.India’s average daily increase in cases has been 6.1 over the past week, behind Russia and Brazil but higher than Britain, the United States and Italy.The biggest spikes were recorded in the western states of Maharashtra, home to India’s commercial capital of Mumbai, and Gujarat as well as Delhi. These densely populated urban centres drive India’s economy, powered by armies of migrant workers.Government officials said the lockdown had helped avert a surge of infections that could have overwhelmed medical services, however.Now cases are doubling every 12 days, up from 3.4 days when the lockdown began, said Lav Agarwal, a joint secretary in the health ministry.”Lockdown and containment are yielding results, the challenge is now to improve on the doubling rate,” he added.
Victoria Carthew and her husband Jon Bryant have sold theirHawthorne home.IT’s taken almost six months, but television presenter and sports commentator Victoria Carthew has finally done a deal on her Hawthorne home.The house at 70 Coventry St was listed in May and went to auction on June 17.Property records now reveal it sold on December 11 for $1.445 million.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach Northless than 1 hour agoNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by 70 Coventry St, Hawthorne.Carthew, who is also a presenter for Channel 7’s Queensland Weekender, and her husband Jon Bryant about 13 years ago.At the time of listing Carthew said it had been a real family home for them and their three children.The home was listed through Simon Dean of Place Bulimba.70 Coventry St, Hawthorne.It had four bedrooms and was on 810sq m of land. The home was recently renovated and had high ceilings, VJ walls and original polished timber floors.The property, known as Braeside, has a swimming pool and is on the hill at Hawthorne.
WRBI Area Boys Basketball Scores.Wednesday (2-25)East Central 44 Franklin County 20Lawrenceburg 48 Harrison 34Risin Sun 36 Jac-Cen-Del 35 (2-OT)Shelbyville 81 Hauser 57edinburgh 55 Southwestern Shelby 45
Advertisement The pair have overseen success in the Spanish capital across almost a decade, winning the 2014 La Liga title, winning two Europa League trophies and reaching two Champions League finals – losing to Real Madrid in each. Atletico Madrid players continued training on Monday ahead of a possible La Liga restart in mid-June Read Also: Ighalo nears Man Utd extension amid foreign stars ban in China Vivas – capped 39 times by Argentina as a player – served as Simeone’s assistant manager at clubs Estudiantes de La Plata, River Plate and San Lorenzo, but didn’t move to Europe as part of his coaching team due to his own managerial career. The former full-back coached Quilmes, Estudiantes and Defensa y Justicia before joining up with Atleti’s coaching staff in 2018. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentArtist Got Bored With Quarantine & Painted Flowers All Over WallsInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art10 Body Features That Are Extremely Rare But Very Remarkable7 Train Stations In The World You Wish To Stay At LongerWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?10 Largest Cities In The WorldThe World’s Most Desirable Fruit – Pink PineappleCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?A Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtTop 10 Iconic Personalities On TV Now7 Theories About The Death Of Our Universe Former Arsenal and Inter full-back Nelson Vivas will be the new number two at Atletico de Madrid to replace the outgoing German Burgos (pictured). It is part of a restructuring of the club’s backroom staff this summer with Vivas – currently a coach at Atleti – stepping up to replace Burgos, with the club’s former captain Gabi Fernandez set to return in a coaching capacity to step into the former role of Vivas, as outlined by Marca. Burgos and Simeone arrived at Atleti together in 2011 and they have worked closely together at the club in the timeframe since, but Burgos will leave to begin his own coaching career elsewhere. Loading…
Swansea have signed Arsenal’s out-of-contract goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski on a four-year contract. Swansea stated on their website: “Swansea City is pleased to announce the club’s first summer signing with the arrival of goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski from Arsenal.” Fabianski spent seven years at the Emirates Stadium after signing from Legia Warsaw. He was rarely Arsene Wenger’s first choice, with Jens Lehmann, Manuel Almunia and then international team-mate Wojciech Szczesny generally keeping him out of the line-up, but made 78 appearances for the club and kept 25 clean sheets. He signed off in style as his final appearance came earlier this month when the Gunners beat Hull 3-2 in the FA Cup final to end a nine-year trophy drought, having beaten Wigan on penalties in the semi-final with Fabianski saving two spot-kicks. Fabianski will either provide competition for Swansea’s incumbent first-choice keeper Michel Vorm or, should a rumoured Liverpool bid for the Dutchman materialise this summer, he would hope to assume Vorm’s duties ahead of Gerhard Tremmel. The Welsh club confirmed the 29-year-old will join them on July 1, following the expiry of his Gunners deal. The Poland international becomes Swansea boss Garry Monk’s first signing since taking over from Michael Laudrup in February. Press Association
ANTHONY Bramble warmed up with an unbeaten second-innings half-century to complement pacer Keon Joseph’s five- wicket haul as Leon Johnson’s XI secured a 5-wicket win over Anthony Adams’ XI in yesterday’s final day of the first 3-Day practice game played at Providence. After making 174 in the first innings, Adams’ XI ended on 154 all out batting a second time.Top-scorer Raymond Perez, who overnighted with 40, failed to convert on the final day, while his partner Jonathan Foo who had 27 was removed for 35, with Ronaldo Alimohamed the next best scorer with 27.Senior Jaguars pacer Joseph got himself going as he bagged 5 for 75 from 10 overs for the Johnson’s XI. Left-arm spinner Gudakesh Motie also gained some confidence ahead of the season with returns of 3 for 33. Eyeing a 100-plus run target on Day 3, Johnson’s XI batsmen were focussed despite losing a few wickets on their way to a much-needed win, ending on 202 for 5 after they were steamrolled for a measly first-innings 127.Guyana’s leading run-scorer in 4-Day matches over the past few seasons, wicketkeeper Bramble, led the way with an unbeaten 55 off 49 with 8 fours, making up for his first-innings failure.Middle-order batsman Vishaul Singh (47) narrowly missed a half-century but he too made amends for his failed first attempt as he dug in for 118 minutes.The openers, Chandrapaul Hemraj and Trevon Griffith, also got their feet moving as they hit 30 and 26 respectively. Skipper Johnson looked good with 3 sweet fours but eventually fell for 17 as his woes continued. All-rounder Chris Barnwell scored 17 but his recent form is a reminder that he could possibly score a big one in the second match.Adams’ XI managed to find success with Foo who returned with 3 wickets and Ricardo Adams 2 for 36.Jaguars marquee players Devendra Bishoo had 5 wickets, Academy and Windies Youth player Kevin Sinclair hit the only other half-century, apart from Bramble, and bagged wickets as well as Joseph who got into good rhythm on the final day – all good signs ahead of the Regional 4-Day.Meanwhile, players will look to make their final impressions when the final two-day practice match bowls off on Thursday at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence.
Senior forward Tom Gorowsky misfired on several chances against Minnesota Duluth on the way to a weekend split for the men\’s hockey team.[/media-credit]Mike Eaves and the University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team have a WCHA standings board in the locker room that they will casually glance at as they walk by.Leading up to this weekend’s series against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, the Badgers will see themselves sitting at third in the conference, three points ahead of fourth-place Minnesota. Needless to say, there will be plenty of motivation to go around.“Every day, the boys walk in the locker room, and there’s that standings board there. They walk right by it,” Eaves said at his press conference Monday. “It doesn’t have to be very long that you walk by it but you know where you stand. So lots at stake. It’ll be two storms coming together on Friday and Saturday night, for sure.”Minnesota is a team that has struggled as of late. Once the No. 1-ranked team in the country, the Gophers have been swept in two of their past three series, including this past weekend against Minnesota State.That could intensify the upcoming series even more, as if any added motivation was needed.“A wounded animal is always a scary thing. You don’t want to get somebody who’s backed into a corner,” Eaves said of the Gophers. “They’re going to be disappointed with the way the weekend turned out, and the coaches are going to be there and they’ll have their attention because of the fact that they did lose a couple. They’ll be all fired up, which will just add more fuel to this weekend.”Against the Gophers, the Badgers will be up against goaltender Alex Kangas. Having just faced Colorado College’s Richard Bachman and Minnesota Duluth’s Alex Stalock, Kangas is just the next in a long line of tough WCHA goalies.“You look at the numbers of all the goaltenders around, and they’re pretty decent,” Eaves said. “It’s just another quality goaltender. The formula is pretty much the same: Let’s get pucks and bodies at the net.”Gorowsky looks for redemptionSenior forward Tom Gorowsky’s miss on an empty net in Saturday’s 1-0 loss may have been a tough pill to swallow for the Badgers after the game, but Eaves expects Gorowsky to rebound from the ill effects.“He’s going to take that and use that as motivation this week to make sure that he’s ready,” Eaves said.But Gorowsky’s coach wasn’t about to pin the loss on the missed shot.“We went and looked at the video, and by our count we outchanced them pretty well,” Eaves said. “We didn’t break the [Alex] Stalock wall. We didn’t get to second pucks. We had shots on the scoring area that could produce rebounds but we didn’t get there well enough. … They capitalized on the mistake that we made, and that was the difference in the game.”From the infirmarySophomore defenseman Brendan Smith has missed the past six games with a broken wrist, and Eaves expects him to miss two more this weekend against Minnesota.It’s possible, though, that Smith could return against Denver at home, since the Badgers have a weekend off following the series against the Gophers.“It’s going to be after the bye,” Eaves said. “I think if we played the bye week that might be a chance, but where he is right now he’s just starting to get range of motion. I sure wish we had him this weekend.”Junior forward Aaron Bendickson was banged up in Friday night’s game against Minnesota Duluth and did not play Saturday. His status for the weekend is still not certain, and he’ll be evaluated early this week.“He’s been getting therapy,” Eaves said. “We’ll know a little more today when he goes on the ice.”
On Wednesday, TMZ.com reported that Heisman Trophy favorite Jameis Winston is under investigation in an open sexual assault case reported nearly a year ago. But Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer isn’t preparing for any scenario in which the Florida State quarterback doesn’t play on Saturday.“That’s out of my control,” Shafer said during his weekly press conference Thursday. “I just play the guys on the field.”FSU released a statement Wednesday that read that Winston’s status is unchanged for this weekend.“We are aware of a matter that was investigated by the Tallahassee Police Department almost a year ago,” the statement reads. “Because the investigation has not been closed by TPD, we cannot comment further at this time. We look forward to a speedy resolution of the issue. There is no change in Jameis Winston’s status.”For Syracuse, Saturday’s matchup invokes memories of the last time the Orange went up against a Heisman candidate.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn its first Atlantic Coast Conference game, the Orange was thrown right into the fire against quarterback Tajh Boyd. During this week, Shafer asked his team, “What was the last game that felt like this going in?”Clemson.There’s a “fine line,” he said, between being excited and getting too amped up. He admitted that he was probably too amped against the Tigers, but that game was a learning experience. SU now has a similar experience to look back to.“The most valuable thing we need to do going into this one is learn from our past mistakes,” Shafer said, “so we’ve been trying to really do a good job going back through those different scenarios that came up.”Shafer said that SU gave the Tigers 21 points when they played in the Carrier Dome. FSU’s offense is even better, ranking second in the nation behind only No. 4 Baylor.But for Shafer, it’s still just a game of six-second wars — maybe eight seconds because Winston “does a good job of sliding around.” Syracuse will have to win its fair share of wars to pull off a stunning upset.“We’ve got no chance in hell according to the stat books and all that other stuff,” Shafer said. “I still think we should go play them, though.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 14, 2013 at 11:44 am Contact David: email@example.com | @DBWilson2
Black Stars striker, Abdul Majeed Waris, has taken to social media to express his disappointment at not making the coach Kwasi Appiah’s final 23-man squad for AFCON 2019.Waris, 27, says the decision was not the “outcome I was hoping for”.Waris was named as part of Kwasi Appiah’s provisional 29-man squad for the team’s pre-tournament camp in Dubai.But after 10 days of camping, Appiah dropped the Nantes’ striker along with four others.Waris, who scored 5 league goals for the French Ligue 1 side in the 2018/2019 season, took to twitter to express his disappointment at not making the team and also wish the team well.“Always proud to represent my country so not the outcome I was hoping for. I wish Ghana well in the AFCON.Time to get a well deserved holidays, refresh and go again for the preseason,” Waris wrote on twitter. Ghana have another friendly against South Africa on Saturday June 16, after which they will leave for Egypt on June 21. The 4-time African Champions have already lost one international friendly against Namibia, played behind closed doors in Dubai.Ghana are in Group F along with defending Champions Cameroon, Benin and Guinea Bissau.They open their AFCON campaign against the Squirrels of Benin on June 25.