Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense MOST READ Salvador seizes early lead at Eagle ridge Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone “I’d rather wait when the 30 days are over,” Marcial told sportswriters on Wednesday during the first Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum for the year at Tapa King-Farmers Market in Cubao.“I don’t know whether it (PBA commissioner) will be given to me. What are their expectations (from me), and also my expectations from them. That’s why I can’t say anything.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkMarcial was appointed OIC after the resignation of former Commissioner Chito Narvasa became effective at the start of the year. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Willie MarcialWillie Marcial said he would wait for his appointment as PBA officer-in-charge to lapse before making plans amid reports that several parties were pushing for him to be formally named league commissioner.Marcial was given 30 days as league caretaker and has already put in place noteworthy projects that the league could pursue if it awards him a tenured post as commissioner.ADVERTISEMENT Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
The ground-breaking ceremony for a US$5 million water project took place in Robertsport, Grand Cape Mount County last Thursday, January 16.The project is being implemented by the Liberian Municipal Water Project (LMWP) with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).The ceremony was graced by the United States Ambassador to Liberia, Madam Deborah Malac, USAID’s Global Water Coordinator, Chris Holmes, LWSC Managing Director, Mr. Charles Allen, top US Embassy officials, as well as many distinguished Liberians.Speaking at the program Ambassador Malac reminded all that access to clean water in Liberia still remains low, despite the developmental progress made since the end of the civil crisis. in 2003.Amb. Malac placed emphasis on the fact that more than a quarter of Liberian citizens lack access to safe drinking water.“That is why we are pleased to join you today to officially launch the construction of a water pipeline extension from the water treatment plant into your area,” she declared.“Rebuilding Liberia’s – Robertsport’s included – water infrastructure is no easy task. I know this pipeline extension has been a long time coming, and I’m looking forward to seeing the full renovation of Robertsport’s former water treatment plant and installation of pipe-borne water points throughout the city as much as you are,” the American Ambassador said.She congratulated the local steering committee, LWSC managers, staff, employees, chiefs, elders and others associated with the water project for preparations and work so far initiated.“I know you have worked tirelessly with support from the LMWP to finalize the designs, sign contracts, and secure land for the various points throughout the city. You have undertaken the kind of careful planning that sustainable water demands,” praised the Ambassador.She furthered that the U.S. Government has been supporting the project since 2011 by undertaking feasibility studies and developing master designs with local leadership to establish an institutional framework for Robertsport’s water system.“We are committed to seeing this work through to completion, in partnership with the LWSC, the Liberian Government, and the Local Steering Committee,” Ambassador Malac assured.She, however, reminded Liberians that the project would not happen overnight and that USAID would work hard with the LWSC to get the next phase of construction moving later this year.According to the Ambassador, the water treatment plant and pipe-line extension would see the immediate benefit of clean water to 200 households and nearly 1,000 citizens and residents of Robertsport.In brief remarks, the Managing Director of the LWSC, Mr. Charles Allen, pointed out that as a major custodian of water initiatives in Liberia the dream for the provision of quality water to Liberians, businesses and foreign residents, was indeed in sight.Mr. Allen expressed delight over efforts of the LWSC and its support partners, especially USAID. He said their assistance would help the Liberian Government in its drive to restore pipe-borne water to all parts of the country, on a gradual and steady basis.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB) along with the Regional Director of the World Health Organization (WHO) have taken exception to decisions by some countries to cancel flights and other investment activities with countries affected by the Ebola virus.Dr. Donald Kaberuka of the AfDB and Dr. Luis Gomez Sambo of the WHO both articulated their concerns during a visit with President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Wednesday, August 27, at the Foreign Ministry in Monrovia.With some African countries and international airlines withdrawing their people and cancelling flights to Liberia, Dr. Kaberuka stressed that the withdrawal actions by those countries concerned do not have scientific backing.He said such actions only help to worsen the situation in Liberia and other affected countries and not to help the situation.He added that the actions by these countries would further stall the economies of the affected countries and lead to other problems.He called on investors to reconsider their decisions to remain consistent with their plan and not to take actions that will create a stigma for people in Ebola-affected countries.Dr. Kaberuka asserted that besides the US$60 million AfDB has contributed to fight Ebola in affected countries, the institution still plans to commit more resources to fight and defeat the virus.Dr. Luis Gomez Samba of WHO also made it clear that the travel ban by some airlines and countries is not endorsed by the WHO.Such an action compromises efforts by international experts to come to the aid of the affected countries to provide the technical expertise needed in helping to eradicate the disease, he declared.He assured the Liberian government that WHO would use the US$60 million donated by AfDB to combat the disease until it is eradicated.Meanwhile, the travel ban and restrictions by some international airlines and African countries had earlier claimed the attention of Foreign Minister, Augustine K. Ngafuan.In his latest comment, Minister Ngafuan took exception to what he termed as “exaggerated actions” by some African countries to restrict their people from coming to Liberia or staying in Liberia.One African country to take such decision was South Africa that withdrew its citizens from Liberia and cautioned those wanting to come not to do so because of the Ebola outbreak in the Mano River Union sub-region.Already neighboring Ivory Coast had taken the lead in stopping Liberians from entering its territorial confines and halting ships from Liberia entering there, or stopping ships docking there from entering Liberia.Of late, Guinea where the Ebola outbreak began and subsequently spread by Guineans traveling to Liberia, also shut its borders with the country.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Precious K. Randolph, 31, a former administrative assistant and audit associate of Baker Tilly-Liberia, formerly (VOSCON), a provider of professional accountancy services, yesterday appeared before the Monrovia City Court, at the Temple of Justice for theft of US$42, 465.Madam Randolph was arrested on March 24, in relation to an investigation linking her to an illegal withdrawal of US$42,465 from Ecobank-Liberia account number 0011014700160904 belonging to an international company identified as GIP Esther of Paris, France.At yesterday’s hearing, Magistrate Kennedy Peabody sent defendant Randolph to the Monrovia Central Prison to wait trial, apparently based on her legal team’s delay in securing her bail.She has been charged with two counts of theft of property and misapplication of entrusted property, which is a bailable offence.Madam Randolph was assigned to manage GIP’s account at Ecobank –Liberia, according to court documents.The court documents allege that Baker Tilly also has an agreement with GIP Esther of Paris, France to manage and supervise that company’s funds at the bank.The defendant was arrested, after police received a complaint from Baker Tilly-Liberia manager, Theo Dekonty Joseph, alleging that from December 2012 to 2014, the defendant fraudulently withdrew money from the bank.The police alleged that during their preliminary investigations, defendant Randolph admitted to the commission of the crime, contending, however, that the amount of US$42,458 was overstated by her former employer.Police quoted defendant Randolph as saying “the actual amount withdrawn without authorization and converted to my personal use is US$39, 015. 53.”The court document also quoted police claiming that Madam Randolph said the amount in question was withdrawn by her when she served as administrative assistant and audit associate of Baker Tilly-Liberia.The police also claimed that the defendant was represented by one of her legal counsels, Cllr. Albert Sim, during the investigation.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Beaten bandit Patrick Goodluck, 22, of North Sophia, Georgetown, appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman as the trial into the robbery commenced.He was jointly charged with Colin Amos, 21, of 72 Sophia, Georgetown, for robbery under arms and possession.On their first appearance, Goodluck and Amos both pleaded not guilty to the charge which alleged that on August 17, at Georgetown, they attempted to commit robbery under arms and they attempted to rob Roger Lovell.They were both apprehended and given a severe beating by residents of North Sophia.During Wednesday’s hearing, Magistrate Latchman was informed that both defendants were given different dates to appear in court, as such she set the matter for September 6, when both Goodluck and Amos will appear before her
Alli may not have played for the World Cup semi-finalists in any case as England manager Gareth Southgate is believed to be set on making radical changes to the starting line-up against a side that reached the last 16 of the World Cup.Southgate — who would become the first England manager to suffer four successive defeats if the Swiss prevail — is not calling up a replacement for Alli having already bolstered his squad with uncapped young Leicester City duo, defender Ben Chilwell and winger Demerai Gray.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000England midfielder Dele Alli is injured and misses the friendly with Switzerland © AFP / Paul ELLISLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 10 – England midfielder Dele Alli will miss Tuesday’s friendly in Leicester with Switzerland because of a minor muscle strain, the Football Association announced Monday.The 22-year-old Tottenham Hotspur star suffered the injury in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Spain in the Nations League.
Listen to the best bits from today’s show with Paul Hawksbee and Andy Jacobs.
Goalkeeper Shay Given insists Republic of Ireland are confident of causing a shock upset against world champions Germany as they prepare for their crucial Euro 2016 qualifying tie on Thursday.Automatic qualification for the finals in France is still within reach for the Irish, who going into the home clash in third place in a competitive Group D.World Cup winners Germany top the group with 19 points, Poland are second on 17 while Ireland sit one place back with 15.A draw for Germany on Thursday will see them through, but a shock three points against the world champions would see Martin O’Neill’s side pull clear of Home Nation rivals Scotland, who are still in with a shout at a play-off place.Republic of Ireland travel to face Poland – led by deadly in-form striker Robert Lewandowski – after their Germany tie, but veteran glovesman Given is sure the side can claim a result against the champions in front of a packed home crowd.“It’s going to be a difficult game, of course it is, Germany are world champions for a reason and they’ve got world class players all over the pitch,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“But we all take heart from the Scottish performance, they scored two goals past them, so you never know on the night.“If we all put in a real a 10/10 performance we can maybe upset them. We’ll try and get a result, that’s all you can do against the world champions.“We do not fear the game, we’re looking forward to it. It’s an exciting game to be involved in as a player, to play the best team in the world in Dublin in your home stadium, it’s fantastic to be involved in and we’re all looking forward to it.“We’ve got some good attacking players in the team, we can’t just sit back for 90 minutes as they will punish you, so we will need to get at them.“The crowd will play a huge part as well, it’s a sell out at the Aviva Stadium and we need the 12th man behind us.”
WATSON’S WEEKLY WONDERS: Due to the phenomonal demand for their weekend hire deal, Watson’s are bringing it back this weekend! Management at Watson’s are offering another brilliant hire deal this weekend! John Watson told Donegal Daily, “Many of our customers were dissapointed last weekend due to success of our deal.“So we’ve decided to run the deal again this weekend – so customers can hire any item on Friday and leave it back on Monday, but they only pay for one day’s hire. “Yes, you’ve heard me correctly, the 3 days for the price of one deal is back!“Please book early to avoid disappointment!” www.facebook.com/watsonhire/photos/a.118968834836788.16259.118929938174011/1034183516648644/?type=3&theaterhttps://www.watsonhire.ie/hire-offer/WATSON’S WEEKLY WONDERS: THREE DAYS HIRE FOR THE PRICE OF ONE IS BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! was last modified: June 8th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:columnHire DealnewsWatson’s Weekly Wonders